Jan Tamulewicz, PARTNER
(Trademarks; Litigation) Jan Tamulewicz helps protect his clients’ brands nationally and internationally, and provides cost-effective trademark filing and enforcement strategies to keep his clients’ IP safe. Jan manages international brand protection programs for iconic brands across industries, including fashion, apparel, retail services, consumer electronics, publishing, banking and financial services. He has extensive experience before the US Patent and Trademark Office and corresponding tribunals around the world.
Jan has been recognized as a leading practitioner in the World Trademark Review 1000. He has training in civil and common law. He is also admitted in Europe and possesses knowledge of trademark law in countries around the world. He has helped several prominent clients in enforcement of their intellectual property rights in China.
Jan regularly handles matters before the World Intellectual Property Organization, particularly Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy complaints and Madrid Protocol filings. He also serves as his clients’ liaison with foreign counsel on intellectual property matters in almost every country in the world. On such engagements, his work includes directing foreign counsel on arguments and evidence related to intellectual property disputes. Jan is admitted as a legal adviser in Warsaw, Poland, and is able to represent clients before Polish and European courts, the European Trademark Office in Alicante, Spain, and the European Court of Justice in trademark cases.
Jan frequently lectures on various intellectual property issues, including trademark and trade dress protection, intellectual property enforcement and anti-counterfeiting. He has received special recognition for his work from the Warsaw Legal Advisers Bar Association.
Prior to practicing law, Jan was an assistant professor at Adam Mickiewicz University School of Law in Poznan, Poland, where he taught Polish administrative procedures and procedures before the Polish Administrative Supreme Court. He also was admitted as a judge in Poland. Jan is fluent in Polish and Russian, proficient in French and has a working knowledge of most Slavic languages.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- September 2019 – Jan Tamulewicz presented “Trademark and Trade Dress Protection in the United States” to the Polish patent and trademark attorneys in Warsaw, Poland
- July 2018 – Jan Tamulewicz presented “Trademark and Trade Dress Protection in the United States” to the Polish patent and trademark attorneys in Gdansk, Poland.
- December 2017 – Jan Tamulewicz presented “Certain Aspects of US Trademark Prosecutions” to the Polish patent and trademark attorneys in Poznan, Poland
- February 11, 2015 – Jan Tamulewicz was a part of a panel presentation on Fashion Licensing and Brand Protection in New York.
- May 9-10, 2005 – Jan Tamulewicz conducted an ABA Workshop for Polish Judges on Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in the United States in Prague, Czech Republic.
- July 2002 – Jan Tamulewicz presented “Trademark and Trade Dress Protection in the United States” to the Polish patent and trademark attorneys, law firms and private companies in Warsaw, Poland.